Nomadic Journals: A day sojourn in Ghalegaun


Scenary from Ghalegaun

Welcome to the second chapter of my Nomadic Journals, where I will chronicle a 2-day travel experience in Pokhara and Ghalegaun with my father and his colleagues. This trip was organized by the National Life Insurance team for their agents to encourage them to improve their careers due to their outstanding performance. My father was lucky enough to be chosen to bring one family member along for the trip, which was me. 

This blog has been in draft form since I visited on March 26, 2023, and I needed more confidence to publish it publicly. However, I want to record the moment and show how important this tour was, not just because it was a proper break, but also because it allowed me to reconnect with my father, with whom I hadn't been close for a long time. Therefore, I am publishing it publicly to share the story of my reminiscing sojourn through the microcosm of breathtaking natural beauty combined with the traditional ethnic way of life of Ghalegaun and majestic Pokhara. 

Join me as I share how travelling together is not just about the places you go; it's about the memories you make and the bonds you strengthen as a family.

Day 1: 

Phewa in rain

The instructions received were to independently reach the city of Pokhara, after which the agency would be responsible for the program to be held over three days. Accompanied by my father and his acquaintances, we embarked on a journey via tourist bus from Kathmandu to Pokhara. As we were making our way into the city, my father had astutely predicted the onset of rain, and it was not long before we were caught amidst a sudden downpour. The coincidence of the prediction was met with surprise from his companions. Our arrival at the hotel was close to 6 P.M., with the heavy rainfall persisting, though we were still inclined to visit Phewa Lake, using umbrellas to shield ourselves. This proved to be a wise decision, as the monsoon melodies of Pokhara were beautifully rendered by the raindrops that delicately touched the surface of the lake, and created a captivating atmosphere. The city, in turn, was transformed into a picturesque wonderland. The succeeding night in Pokhara was well spent, marked by a captivating cultural program and a delectable meal. The following day, our travel itinerary would lead us to Ghalegaun, necessitating an early night's rest.

Day 2:

Over 4 buses were arranged for the agents to visit Ghalegaun. We began our journey early, but it took us a long hour to reach our destination. Every time the bus would pass by a hill, we would think we were almost there, but then another hill would appear out of nowhere. The bus went through a road that was situated between Rupa Lake and Begnas Lake. The scenery of Begnas Lake had always been my scenic crush, and I was thrilled to see it through my own eyes. I promised myself that one day, I would go to Pokhara solely for Begnas Lake. The trails to Ghalegaun were adorned with red rhododendrons, which made the journey even more welcoming. As the bus was ascending a higher path, I could feel chills on my skin and a sense of fullness in my ears. I remember passing through a small village that I initially thought was Ghalegaun, but the bus kept moving forward. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, we arrived at Ghalegaun, and the company welcomed everyone to the place.


Homestay

The community homestay had segregated the tourists into gender-based groups, which I had unintentionally missed while roaming around. The prospect of being excluded due to this caused me some concern, but the hospitable locals settled me in with other female guests. As an introverted person, I initially found it challenging to engage in conversation, but I eventually found it easier to communicate with my amiable roommates. Our lengthy trek to Ghalegaun resulted in our arrival at dusk. However, we were eager to witness the sunset in Ghalegaun, so we ventured out and were rewarded with a stunning view of the Himalayas in the backdrop of the sunset.

Welcoming Ceremony

During our stay at a homestay in Ghalegaun, our hosts, who were our aunt and uncle, prepared a local meal for us at night. The community had arranged a cultural program, which left a dignified impression on me due to the emphasis on cultural preservation in Ghalegaun. I was able to experience a deep connection with their cultural heritage through their folk songs and dances. Our hosts informed us about the museum located nearby, which we planned to visit the next day to learn more about Ghalegaun. The night was filled with the echoes of the folk songs and cultural harmony of Ghalegaun.

The following day, my roommate and I were cordially received with local tea and were eager to explore the village and museum. Our luck was in our favour as we were able to witness the free-roaming Kalij in Ghalegaun. We discovered a trail to Ghanpokhara, but unfortunately had to cut our visit to the museum short as we realized the bus was leaving. The National Life Insurance tour was scheduled for three days, but I had to depart early due to academic reasons and bid farewell to my companions in Besisahar, Lamjung.



Rejoining the family foldMy grandmother has been bedridden for a long time. Recently, my father shared his nostalgic memories of his mother and uncle strolling around the streets of Pokhara. He narrated every detail of the old Pokhara while they both visited the place. He expressed his desire to create similar memories with me too.

Upon concluding my visit to the Ghalegaun paradise, a unique ethnic culture repository, I departed with not only a visual appreciation of the stunning landscapes but also a profound sense of appreciation for the local hospitality and the tranquillity of Ghalegaun's scenery. The journey through this land, with its unparalleled blend of history, natural beauty, and genuine warmth, has left an indelible mark on my heart, infused with the passion for wanderlust.

I invite you to join me on the next chapter of my travels, where the allure of a new destination awaits, promising a fresh array of adventures and discoveries.


Post a Comment

0 Comments