Nomadic Journal: Last-Minute Hiking to Dhap Dham

In the morning, I planned to start my day with some yoga by following a YouTube routine. Just as I was getting into the flow, my phone rang. It was my friend calling with a spontaneous invitation to hike to Sundarijal. We had discussed going on a hike after our exams, but I never imagined it would happen so suddenly.



In excitement, we hastily gathered a group of five college friends and agreed to meet at Sundarijal Buspark. I planned to leave my place by 9 A.M., but since my home was in the opposite direction of Sundarijal, it took me almost 40 minutes past 9 to finally head out. Consequently, I ended up being the last one to arrive at the Buspark, reaching there at 11 A.M., which was already considered late for a hike.

As the day began, most hikers typically set out for the Dhap Dham trek at 6 A.M. to seize the daylight hours, but we disregarded the traditional timing and ventured forth with spontaneity. Upon reaching the site, we purchased entry tickets priced at Rs 100. These tickets were later checked at another checkpoint. Our group was advised by army personnel to reach the Army Barrage by 5 P.M., a goal we found to be both reasonable and achievable. Energized by this, we continued our hike with high spirits, capturing the breathtaking scenery with our cameras. 

During our journey, as we revelled in the natural beauty around us and snapped photos of the stunning views, our sense of tranquillity was suddenly interrupted. We discovered that we were not alone—leeches had latched onto us. Feeling a sudden itchiness, I inspected my socks and found them soaked with blood. It was a moment of panic as we realized that all of us had fallen victim to the leeches. Thankfully, we were well-prepared and had brought salt with us. With the salt, we carefully removed the leeches, ensuring our safety and continuing the hike without further interruption. Now upon writing this blog, I searched for the removal of leeches by salt and found out that using methods like salting could infect the skin if it had gone deep. In such a case. You can carefully remove a leech by using your fingernail or a sheet of paper to separate the leech’s mouth from your skin. Writing a blog helps you gain some first-aid knowledge too!

After the leech attack, I became hyper-aware, constantly checking for more. Although I had hiked before, I was already tired along the way. A fellow traveller suggested a shortcut that would save us two hours, reducing the journey from three hours to one. It was nearly 4 P.M., and we were barely halfway to Dhap Dham, so we decided to take the shortcut. The steep hill was incredibly challenging for me. We could have reached the dam earlier if I hadn't needed so many rest breaks. However, my friends were patient and supportive. One friend, in particular, motivated us by saying that the view was worth the effort and likened the dam to a second Rara Lake.

Dam area


After an eventful day of hiking to Sundarijal and marvelling at the dam with its serene blue waters, our group reluctantly decided it was time to leave. I couldn't help but feel a pang of regret that we didn't have more time to spend in such a captivating place, especially as the sun was already setting.

Dhap Dam


As we prepared to leave, my mind was split between regret over the resting breaks that delayed us and worry about navigating our way home through the dark forest. Earlier encounters with snakes on the trail and stories from others about the lengthy return journey only added to my unease. Some had warned us it could take a minimum of five hours to make it back, possibly extending our return to as late as 10 P.M.

With these thoughts weighing on me, fear of wild animals, ghosts, and the darkness itself loomed large. However, the locals we consulted offered a glimmer of hope, suggesting we could exit the forest in just an hour and a half if we moved briskly. It was already 6 P.M., and with renewed determination, I calculated that pushing our pace could see us through the forest by 7:30 P.M. Positive thinking became my ally in this daunting moment.
    
 

Despite our numbed legs from the long hike, we managed to navigate the forest without incident, albeit with lingering anxiety. On our way, we encountered some boys whose unsettling behaviour and strange sounds only heightened our nerves. Fortunately, a group of soldiers not far off provided a sense of security. They questioned us about our late arrival and whether we encountered any wildlife, while the boys' presence continued to unsettle us.

After a brief interaction with the soldiers and reaching the pond area, we felt a slight sense of relief, though the daunting task of getting home remained. It was already past 8 P.M., and local buses ceased operations after 8 P.M. My friends were familiar with the ride-sharing app "Pathao," which I had never used. With no other options available, I booked a ride and headed home. 
 

During the ride, I struck up a conversation with the Pathao rider, which helped distract me from the day's fearful experiences. As I reflect on the day, I realize that despite the hardships and anxieties, I cherished the memories created with my friends on the trails. It was an adventure that tested our courage and resilience, leaving us with stories to recount for years to come. To conclude our journey, I'm ending this blog with a quote about the importance of positive thinking that I've learned.

"Just for the record darling, not all positive change feels positive in the beginning.
S. C. Lourie





Post a Comment

0 Comments